DrayTEK Vigor 2100VG
Draytek Vigor 2100VG Wireless Broadband Router with Voice over IP
The DrayTek Vigor 2100VG is an broadband firewall/router - ideal for sharing your Cable Modem between several PCs, with a built-in VoIP (Voice over IP) telephone port. Even if you have just one PC, the router provides the firewall facilities. The phone port enables you to use your existing broadband connection to make VoIP calls to any other compatible device, anywhere in the world and anywhere on the Internet, free of charge. You can receive calls too of course, and all with a standard (analogue) telephone which you connect into the socket on the back of the router.
Having the Vigor2100VG on your broadband connection effectively gives you an extra phone line - with no extra line rental, so when family or co-workers are tying up the main line you can still make calls using the phone on your Vigor2100VG - ideal for teleworkers who need that extra flexibility. The Vigor2100VG is visually pleasing too; its curved lines and brushed silver finish enable it to fit into any environment stylishly.
Automatic QoS Assurance
Traffic levels from your local users to the Internet can vary; if someone else on your router is downloading, that will affect your speeds. Mostly that's quite tolerable - you just get your data a little slower but you wouldn't normally notice. With VoIP, things are different. A voice call has to be digitised, transmitted to the remote end and the turned back into an analogue waveform (sound!) in real-time. If part of a packet is delayed then the sound becomes jerky and intermittent which at best is annoying and in worst cases intolerable. The Vigor2100VG firstly uses efficient codecs designed to make the best use of available bandwidth, but secondly includes automatic QoS Assurance. QoS (Quality of Service) Assurance reserves part of your Internet bandwidth for voice calls whilst a voice call is active (the reserved bandwidth is available for regular use if there is no Voice call active). This means that, regardless of what else other people are doing on your Network, you will always have the necessary inbound and outbound bandwidth reserved exclusively for Voice.
Voice Over IP
Using VoIP is simple. You connect any standard telephone to one of the two phone ports on the unit. In the simplest usage mode, you lift the handset and dial the IP address of the remote unit ( * is used in place of the normal dot). The router then contacts the remote router and the phone connected at the other site then rings. The remote user lifts his handset to answer the call and the two parties can then talk to each other. More conveniently, you use the phone book to dial remote users with a short code and a SIP registar/proxy to locate users automatically without needing to know their IP address.
Vigor 2100VG Main Features :
- Broadband Router & Firewall for cable-modems
- Ideal for use with Broadband from NTL or Telewest Blueyonder
- Ideal for the SoHo user (Small Office/Home)
- 802.11g and 802.11b Wireless LAN Access (Vigor2100VG only)
- Enables you to connect wireless computers & laptops around your home
- Several independent levels of Wireless Security (Vigor2100VG only)
- Voice-over-IP Faciliy using your normal telephone
- PSTN Passthrough for your regular phone line
- Waiting POP3 Email notifcation by front panel LED
- Four port 10/100BaseT Switch (expandable)
- Internet Content Filtering
- Automatic QoS (Quality of Service) Assurance for voice calls
- Phone ports compatible with any standard telephone
- VoIP Voice calls are carried over existing ADSL connection
- Automatic Fallback to your analogue line during ADSL failure
- VPN Passthrough for VPN client/server running behind the router
- Automatic support for popular multimedia applications
- including Netmeeting & MSN Messenger for multiple LAN users.
- Dynamic DNS Posting, compatible with popular services
- DNS Proxy/Cache & DHCP Server