How to Guide
Configure Fanvil X Series for 3CX
A quick guide to auto provisioning Fanvil X Series with 3CX.
Step 1. Upgrade to the required firmware
Ensure that the phone is running on the required firmware by 3CX. In case the device needs manual updating download the latest distributed required firmware by 3CX here. Read how to check what firmware the phones are running on and how to upgrade them in this guide: How to manually upgrade a Fanvil IP phone.
Step 2: Factory Reset the IP Phone
Before provisioning the IP phone, the phone must be brought back to factory defaults in case the device has residual settings of a previous configuration. To reset the device read our How to factory reset Fanvil X and H series phones guide.
Step 3: Provisioning the phone
There are several methods to provision a phone:
- Plug & Play – For phones on the local LAN or behind the 3CX SBC.
- RPS – For phones on remote networks that will connect directly to 3CX and use STUN.
Local LAN or SBC: Provision via Plug’n’Play
- Connect the phone to the network. A PnP request will be sent automatically to 3CX.
- Go to 3CX Management Console ⇒ “Phones” page. The new phone will be marked in Bold.
- Click on the BOLD entry and choose between “Assign Ext” or “Add Ext”, depending on whether you want to assign the phone to an existing extension or create a new one.
- All major provisioning settings are pre-populated. If your PBX has multiple network cards, select to which network this IP Phone is connected.
- Click “OK”. The phone configures automatically and will reboot to finalise the setup.
Remote phones: Provision via RPS server
- Take note of the phone’s MAC address, usually written at the back.
- Navigate to the 3CX Management Console ⇒ “Phones” and press “+ Add Phone”.
- From the dropdown list select the extension to which this phone must be assigned.
- In the next dialog select the Vendor/Model of the phone and enter the device’s MAC address.
- Switch the “Provisioning Method” to “Direct SIP (Stun – Remote)” and click “OK”.
- You can make sure that the extension is ready to be configured via RPS by checking the “Event Log” from the dashboard:
If the message appears as a “Warning” follow the instructions outlined in the message itself and use the Manual Link Provisioning method outlined here.
- The phone is now ready to be provisioned – you can boot up the phone anywhere in the world with access to the internet.
- Press “View” to access the “Auto Provisioning” stage.
- The phone will prompt for username and password: Enter the extension number as username, press arrow “down” and enter the voicemail pin as the password.
Note: Ensure that the input mode is set to digits (red box).
Step 4: Extended Phone Configuration
IP phones can be tweaked to match the user’s needs. Those might be skipped if they are not desired and the phone will be rolled out in a default configuration. Also, they can be altered at a later stage and changes applied via the Management Console → Phones → Select Device → Re-Provision :
- Do not use special characters in Extension names or BLF labels.
- BLF Layout: On Fanvil X4/5 devices the first button is reserved for MWI indication and the second for Headset toggle (on/off).
The phone has successfully been configured for 3CX.